Sunday, May 21, 2006

Booster Cover Progress & Setbacks

As the title says, today was a mixture of progress and setbacks, pretty much intermixed as the day went on.

First, it was time to use my doghouse templates to do the angled cuts. I tilted the saw blade to the same nine degree angle that matches the top of the booster cover, on which the doghouse will sit. I always hate to get my fingers anywhere near the saw blade, but I survived fine.

Okay, the first pass turned out okay. Time to cut the other side of the doghouse with the mirror-image jig. Uh-oh. I found out after the fact that the other jig was not a mirror image after all. Doghouse ruined :(

Luckily I had cut the parts for a spare doghouse last week, so I can use that to replace this one. Needless to say, I did not attempt to use the faulty template on the second doghouse, so it has only one side trimmed. I also made a new template to replace the defective one.

Next, it was time to move onto the top part of the booster cover. I needed to make a cut 1/4" from the bottom of the block, so that I can cut the grooves in the block where they belong. Later I can glue this end cap back on. The cut for the first booster cover top went fine. While cutting the second booster cover top, the block kind of lifted as I cut it, so I had to stop mid-cut, and finish it off with a hacksaw by hand. :(

With those cuts done, I started working on the curved part of the booster cover tops. Following some guidance from Alan Wolfson, I used the drill press with the sanding drum attachment. This worked pretty well. I've only sanded out the shallowest of the two arcs. I will need to progressively sand out the larger arc later.

So it was a day of mixed results. I made some progress on the booster covers, but I'll have to redo some of the work. Oh well, that happens.

Note: I won't be able to do any building until this Thursday at the earliest, so no updates for a few days.

No comments: