Saturday, August 22, 2026

Pulled Dome Panels on Droid #2 for New Clearcoat

Way back in 2024 I placed a BBQ cover on droid #2 to cover him up. This came back to bite me, as the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enable clearcoat can get a bit "melty" in the heat, and sure enough it left a snakeskin pattern on some of the dome panels and the radar eye on droid #2.



I'd been putting off addressing this, but now was an opportune time. I had talked to Mike Senna about this when it happened, and he recommended re-clearcoating with SprayMax 368-0061 High Gloss clearcoat, two cans of which I ordered last week. This is a 2-component ("2K") clearcoat that chemically solidifies as it cures.



As much as I hate pulling the dome panels off the droid, I went ahead and did it.



Then I stared at droid #1 for a long time. "You're next."

No comments: