Sunday, August 23, 2026

Lightly Sanded Snakeskin Pattern on Droid #2 Dome Panels, Removed Droid #1 Dome Panels

Yesterday I mentioned that I am re-clearcoating droid #2's blue dome panels due to a snakeskin pattern that got imprinted into the original clearcoat in a few places on the dome a couple years ago. Today I lightly sanded those areas with 2000 grit sandpaper. My goal was to eliminate the snakeskin pattern in the clearcoat, but to not sand so deep as to hit the layers of color underneath the clearcoat.



I decided that since I was going to the trouble and expense of re-clearcoating one of the droid's blue dome panels with a high-end 2K clearcoat, I might as well do both droids, since I want to protect them both from future damage when they are covered. So, pulled off almost all the blue panels on droid #1 as well.

A couple of panels are siliconed onto the dome rather than being attached with 3M Very High Bond tape, so I decided to leave those in place. They are not at high risk for having an imprinted pattern when the dome is covered.



Two bald droids.



Next up, the first coats of the Spray Max 2K clearcoat.

No comments: