Monday, June 12, 2023

Prepped PIC Flasher Rear Logics on Droid #2 for Dome Installation

Today I worked on getting the PIC flasher circuit and LEDs ready for installation in the dome on droid #2.

First, I 3D-printed some standoffs with a length of 28mm, an inner diameter of 3.1mm, and an outer diameter of 15mm. These are for use with 3mm diameter screws that are 35mm in length. I wanted even longer screws and standoffs to put some distance between the LEDs and the rear logic surround, but this length should be okay.



The aluminum surround has six 3mm mounting holes, and I plan to use the four holes in the corners to mount the LED perfboard. I used the rear logic bezel from the JEDI logics as a template for where to measure and mark mounting holes.



I took the work over to the drill press and drilled the holes for the four corners.



I also need to mount the PIC flasher circuit itself to the perfboard. I am using #8 nylon screws, and I need to widen the mounting holes a little bit on the PIC flasher board.



Then I drilled the perfboard to accept the #8 nylon screws.



The screw head encroaches on the components in the corners, so I trimmed a little material from them.



And the reverse side.



Time to install this mess in the dome! I used the 3mm screws to secure things down.



Looks reasonably good.



All that's left is to print and cut the transparencies to size and tape those onto the rear logic surround. It turns out I don't have any transparencies on hand, so I need to get those and then wrap this up.

No comments: