Saturday, June 10, 2023

Got LEDs on PIC Flasher Rear Logics Blinking for Droid #2

Today I fixed a couple of issues on the PIC flasher-based rear logics that I am wrapping up for droid #2. First, as I suspected, one LED was installed backward. As the "D" in LED stands for Diode, installing an LED backwards will prevent current from continuing on to the rest of the circuit. It just so happens that it was the last LED on the cathode bus, so that wasn't the only problem; had it been, I expect that only that single LED would not have illuminated. Instead, no LEDs were lit.

I used a multimeter to ring-out the board, and I realized that I failed to supply voltage to the transistor array that feeds the LEDs their power. The power terminal on the PIC flasher board has two voltage inputs, one for 9-12v to power the PIC chip and associated electronics (this goes through a 5v regulator), and a 9-45v supply to power the LEDs. As 9 volts are sufficient to power the LEDs, I simply needed to bridge the pins on the solder-side of the connector.



After fixing that and the LED issue, the circuit worked as expected.



I still have a little more work to do to get this installed in the droid.

No comments: