Saturday, May 28, 2022

Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2022 - Day 3

Today was day 3 of Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2022.

I arrived at 8am (as I've been doing) and decided to wander the show floor a bit before the crowds arrived.



A little while later, a few of us were able to visit the Mandalorian Experience exhibit. This alone was worth attending SWCA. A bunch o' pics.

The screen-used R2 that Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples built for the sequel trilogy. I've actually driven this droid!





Speaking of Oliver, he and I were twins today.



If General Grievous were an R2 unit.



A peek at the main stage.



I watched some of the droid races. Unfortunately, the Miyamotos weren't able to retain their title.



I think I've posted about this from previous conventions, but it's still pretty cool



R2-D2 Episode II and III operator Don Bies stopped by the room for a while. He kindly posed with me and my droid. I first met Don in person at Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles back in 2007, when he was one of the first to sign my droid's back panel. It was great being able to chat with him.



Some of our Washington state contingent dressed up as alien rebel pilots.



Lucasfilm sound editor and voice actor Dave Collins and his family stopped by the room too. My droid was a special guest at his wedding reception, and we were able to have a reunion of sorts.



Around 5:45pm, the droids lined up to make their way to the freight elevator, en route to the group photo downstairs.



We fit around 20 droids in the elevator at a time. Mine is in there somewhere. I think.



We staged the droids up in rows as each elevator-load arrived. My droid was in the front row of the second column.



Somehow my droid ended up being the leader as we made our way to the photo op area for the group picture(s). However, by the time all the droids were lined up for the photo, my droid ended up being in the very back row, just to the right of the red R6 droid on the left side of the row.



I haven't gotten around to counting how many droids are actually in the photo, and I know that a bunch of droids stayed in the builders room, so not all are accounted for.



Afterward, we all made our way back up the freight elevator and stored our droids at our stations.

Three days are in the books, one more to go!

No comments: