Sunday, November 10, 2019

Swapped Out Front Wheels on Center Foot

After 12.5 years running on the same caster wheels on the front foot, R2 is getting a new pair of shoes (or toes, or whatever the analogy would be).

I bought the original Proctor Glove 3RS 3" x 1.25" casters at an Ace Hardware in Yorba Linda, CA back in 2006. That store has since gone out of business and I had trouble sourcing them at other Ace stores. I called Proctor Glove to see if they could let me know where I could find them, and they pointed me to McFadden-Dale hardware in Santa Ana, CA, so I picked some up.



I debated about whether to swap out the entire caster, or just the wheel. On the one hand, an entire new caster would have brand new bearings, but I was reluctant to unscrew the caster from the wooden foot, so I decided to leave the casters in and just swap out the wheels.




The old wheels were quite chewed up.



Even more surprising was how much more the front wheel had worn out, compared to the rear wheel.



The new wheels are on, and R2 is loving them.



Let's see if they're still going strong in 10 years (and me).

No comments: