Monday, November 11, 2019

Grounding Strap for R2

Occasionally I have a problem with static electricity collecting on R2, to the point that I get concerned about the onboard electronics, not to mention the mild zap that I can get when I touch the dome or other metal parts after he's been driving.

I researched various solutions, and settled on a grounding strap. In my case, I used some copper braided solder wick.



I wanted the strap to not be visible to the outside world, so I chose to place it on the inboard side of the motor area in the center of the drivetrain. I cleaned the surface with acetone and used some 3M duct tape to attach the strap. I cut the length to about 5", and about 2.25" hangs down below the drivetrain body.




I made sure that the strap was long enough to touch the driving surface, but short enough that it cannot reach the wheels or get wrapped on the axles or any other part of the wheel.



Unless you are an ant, this is not visible to the outside world.



And best of all, my static electricity build-up problems are gone. It will be interesting to see if this wears down over time. Hopefully it'll last a good long while.

No comments: