Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Big Droid Put-Together Continues

The work on assembling droid #2 continues.

I started with an easy step, mounting the shoulder buttons and hydraulics.



In November 2008, I was careful to drill the angle for the top button at 5 degrees, so that it has the proper tilt.



Next up, installing the channel on the drivetrain. It's tough to hold the nut in place under the hole, so I used a very thin piece of scrap wood as a tray to slide the nut under the hole.



I'll paint the screw heads white with a paint brush later.



Another easy one, installing the half-moons on the outer doors.




Time to put the legs back on. I first installed the covers for the wooden shoulder discs.



The part I hate, installing the feet.



This is why I hate it. It is easy to damage the foot shells. I should really put something under the ankle area to prop them up off the ground. I guess I'll need to repair this sometime soon.



I wrapped up by attempting to install some of the leg details. The screws that hold the booster cover top pieces in place are fitting too snugly into their holes in the legs, so I'll need to gouge the holes to be a little wider. I also need to sand some of the paint off the inner perimeter of the ankle bracelets, as they no longer want to fit around the booster covers, now that everything is painted. I installed the Rockler bearing, and plopped the dome on top.



The most obvious problem is the one I mentioned the other day; namely, that R2 is standing too straight. He isn't able to lean the requisite 36 degrees between the center leg and the outer legs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to plug the ankle holes, and redrill them lower. They're already centered at 1/2" from the tips of the ankles, but that doesn't look like it's going to be enough. I'll start with the center ankle, and see if that's sufficient.

Even though I'll have a few days off, I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to put into this. We shall see.

No comments: