Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Cut Leg Template (Twice)

This was kind of sad.

After spending so much time marking up the template yesterday for cutting today, it turns out that my markings were not 100% perfect. First I cut the template I marked up from yesterday:



I didn't really notice anything wrong with the template, so I decided to use it to cut a test leg piece from 1/2" plywood. Careful study showed some asymmetry. Since I need to use this template 10 times (5 for each leg), I decided to start over, by going straight to the blueprint. I cut out the outline of the leg from the blueprint using an Xacto knife and straightedge:



Ultimately I cut this template out too. Even this template is not 100% perfect, but it's a lot better. The only thing wrong with it is that the edges above where the ankle joins the leg are not of equal length. I haven't decided whether I will a) try to fix the template, b) live with it, or c) start over again for the third time.

No comments: