Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Added LEDs to R5 Dome

In preparation for WonderCon, I decided I'll bring droid #1 dressed as R5-D4, since he's gotten a new lease on life in The Mandalorian season 3. I also decided to add LED lighting to his eyes.

I soldered 3 LEDs in series. With a 9-volt battery as the power source, no resistor is required for these LEDs.



I purchased a 9-volt battery holder and a small on/off switch for power.



And... it looks like I didn't take any further photos of the progress, but suffice it to say, it was a simple job, and I used a hot glue gun to affix the wired-up LEDs in the eye sockets.



The on/off switch resides inside the dome, which means I have to remove the dome to turn the lights on and off. I have an idea for doing so outside the dome that I will probably implement after WonderCon, and I will probably add some diffusion for the LEDs at some point soon as well.

No comments: