Saturday, June 26, 2021

Installed New Dome Speed Controller on Droid #1

After 14 years of fine service, I decided it was time to retire my poor-man's dome controller on droid #1. That controller worked by having a servo horn directly bump snap switches. The wiring allowed the dome motor to turn full speed in one direction or the other (or not at all), but there was no variable-speed capability. The Dimension Engineering Sabertooth 2x12RC will handle that duty now.



Thank you old dome controller, you served me well.



The Sabertooth 2x12RC can output 5 volts to the receiver, but I already have a switching battery elimination circuit powering my receiver (and capable of supplying more amperage), so I disconnected the positive and negative voltage lines from the connectors going to the receiver, and applied some shrink tubing to the metal ends. The yellow signal pin stays in the plastic connector.



I started to install the speed controller on droid #1. It will go over the hole that accommodated the servo motor on the old dome controller. While I think this hole would probably provide sufficient ventilation, I decided that I wanted to put the speed controller on stand-offs just to be sure. So I need another day to get those set up.

Sorry to leave you hanging, 2x12RC. Not for long.

No comments: