Sunday, December 23, 2018

Cut Wiring Holes in Shoulder Discs for New Gas Pipe

Today I got a little bit more done on the gas pipe transplant effort on droid #1, by drilling the holes in the shoulder discs for the wires that pass from the body and down the legs to the feet.

The old shoulder discs serve as the perfect template for this 1" diameter hole, so I bolted the old discs on top of the new ones.



I used a 1" hole saw to drill out the wiring holes on each disc.





Afterward, I decided to bolt the discs to the pipes, in order to attach the legs to the body to see how things look. There is a minor mistake in the wiring holes from the early days of building the droid in 2005, where I put the wiring hole in the same location on both legs. I should have had the holes mirror each other, rather than be exact duplicates. The wiring holes in the frame are both toward the rear of the droid, but the right leg has the hole more toward the front. It's no big deal, it just means that I need to run another inch or two of wire.



I attached the legs to the body while R2 was still in the reclining position. As far as I can tell, things look good. The whole point of this transplant was to shorten the distance of the legs to the body to be about 1/4", and as I measured before, it looks like that's pretty much where they're at. I *might* file 1/16" or so off the end of the 1" pipe, but I need to look more closely before making that decision.





I still need to drill and bolt the leg pipes together, and file the flat spot on the 1" pipe where the vertical rail comes to rest, to enforce the 36° tilt.

No comments: