Sunday, October 21, 2018

Cut Shoulder Discs at Mike's

I've been wanting to cut new pipes that connects droid #1's legs together, since I think the legs are just a little too far from the body (about 1/2" vs. around what I consider to be a preferable 3/8"). The current pipes have so many holes drilled into them to bolt the pipes together that I don't feel I can just cut them down. Thus I'll be needing some new pipes and flanges. New flanges might mean new wooden shoulder discs, if the hole pattern for the flanges isn't quite the same, so I decided to cut some new discs while I had the opportunity to go to Mike Senna's place. (A more detailed description of this process can be found here.)

This isn't a major procedure. I brought some 3/4" Baltic birch, and rough-cut some 6.25" diameter circles with the jig saw. The rough cut is about 1/8" larger in diameter, but it varies.




Next up, setting up to use the router, to route the discs down to exactly 6.25".



I was fighting with Mike's router, so he did the routing for me.



Two new discs, ready for service, if and when needed.


No comments: