Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Big Droid Put-Together Begins

Calvin & Hobbes had the "Horrendous Space Kablooie," I have the "Big Droid Put-Together." It's time to start putting the turkey together, after roughly 4 years of building.

Before starting, however, I decided to attempt a part count for droid #2. For the purposes of counting, everything that I scratch-built got counted by their constituent components. For example, if each outer leg is composed of five layers of wood, then each leg counted as five layers, not just one leg. For parts and electronics that I purchased, items that came assembled (e.g., the front logics) count as one piece. Parts that require assembly were counted by their constituent components (the aluminum skins, for example).

My preliminary part count, which is sure to change upon closer review: 1,420 parts

I realize that may sound preposterous to some, but it's true (again, subject to a double-check of the spreadsheet). I plan to post the spreadsheet a little later.

Okay, on to the Big Droid Put-Together. Here's what is waiting to be assembled.



That doesn't look too bad. (Hah!)

Even though they can't stay on for now, I decided to test-fit the legs first, just to make sure all was well.

The center leg went in first.



The outer legs get the fun gas pipe assembly. Hmm, which leg is which, anyway? The paint wiped out my markings!




I think everything is okay so far.



Next, I pulled the legs back off, and started mounting the skins. The inner back goes first.



Followed by the inner front.



Followed by the outer back.



And finally, the outer front.



Next, I started mounting parts. The front octagon port.




The rear octagon port.



The front power coupler.



The coin slots.



The utility arms.




And finally, the front vents.




I fully expect to find problems as I go, and I did find my first one.

I tried to take a short cut and rehabilitate a center foot that I built but was not able to use on droid #1. Unfortunately, I may not be able to use this on droid #2 either, because the center leg won't be able to lean back the required 18 degrees. I will either need to plug and redrill some holes on the ankle or foot (or both), or rebuild the foot from scratch. I'm not sure yet how I'll deal with this. I'll think about it some more.



In the meantime, I need to start gluing the remaining skin panels down with silicone.

No comments: