Monday, February 16, 2009

Upgraded Main Power Switch

On Mike's recommendation, I upgraded the main power switch on my droid that he kindly provided, to handle more current. The original main power switch is rated for 1.5 Amps at 250 volts when the switch is toggled. The new power switch can handle 15 amps when the switch is toggled. While I don't plan to flip the switch when the motors are running, it's not a bad idea to plan for a worst-case scenario.

The first thing I needed to do was dig down into the droid an unscrew the wood screws that hold down the piece of PVC to which the main power switch and receiver power switch are anchored.



Next, I disconnected the main power switch from the PVC holder, and unsoldered the original main power switch.



I soldered the new main power switch to the negative connection of the main power bus. When the switch is off, it breaks the circuit, when it's on, it completes it.



Finally, I put everything back together and screwed the PVC holder back onto the base plate of the frame. I tested, and everything works as it should.

No comments: