Tuesday, May 22, 2007

U-Haul Truck, Rubber Layer for Wheels, R2's First Event

And the CIV craziness begins.

Mike and I picked up the 17' U-Haul truck we are using to lug stuff to CIV, that was shipped by various other builders around the country.



On the way to the U-Haul location, Mike managed to glue down the rubber layer to each of my four outer foot wheels while I drove. Things were so hectic I didn't manage to get a picture of them.

When we got back, Mike started loading the truck, while I made a Home Depot and Staples run to pick up stuff for the Builders Room.

Then, we loaded my R2 into Mike's van for R2's first public event. GenCon and Lucasfilm hosted a reception at the Bonaventure hotel in downtown Los Angeles, and various costumers were asked to come out, along with R2. Unfortunately, R2's feet and battery boxes were completely removed, and wheels off when we started the drive to the hotel.

I assembled the greasy, oily drivetrain in the front passenger seat, while wearing my dress clothes. Good thing I brought lots of paper towels. I managed to get the drivetrain together, and Rick Thames helped me to get R2 back on all three legs. We made it into the room, and R2 posed for pictures with the crowd.



Later, I met Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm Vice President of Fan Relations. We posed with R2.



This is just the start of what promises to be a crazy, exhausting, and fun-filled week.

No comments: